With the rapid growth of IT industry in India, the demand of computer professionals is increasing day by day. Bachelor’s in Computer Applications (BCA) is an undergraduate degree course in Computer Applications that is popular among students who want to make a career in the IT field. The duration of the course is 3 years and divided into 6 semesters.
It comprises of the subjects like Computer Organization & Architecture, Mathematical Foundations of Computer Applications, Programming in C, Data Structures, Database Management Systems, Numerical and Statistical Methods, Operating Systems and UNIX, Design and Analysis of Algorithms, Java Programming, Microprocessors & Assembly Language Programming, Software Engineering, Web Programming, Data Communication Networks, Python Programming, Data Mining and Data Warehousing, Internet of Things, Robotic Process Automation, Mobile Computing, System Programming, Artificial Intelligence, Cloud Computing, Data Analytics, Cryptography and Network Security, Advanced Web Technologies.
Academia Industry Interface is through MoU signed with various Industry partners.
- Netcraftz, Bangalore for Skill Development Certificate courses such as Server Management, Web Design, Advanced Java, Linux Administration
- UiPath India for Robotic Process Automation Design and Development
- Kigyan School of Data Science Pvt. Ltd. for Data Analytics, Machine Learning & Artificial Intelligence.
Specializations after BCA
- PG Diploma in Data Analytics ( at mLAC)
- PG Diploma in Machine Learning & Artificial Intelligence (at mLAC)
- MSc (IT)
- Certification: Diploma in Networking
- Cisco Certified Networking Professional (CCNP)
- Cisco Certified Networking Administrator (CCNA)
- Microsoft Certified Solutions Associate (MCSA)>
- Redhat Certification
Affiliated to Bengaluru Central University.
For BCA, a candidate who has passed the two years Pre-University Examination conducted by the Pre-University Education Board in Karnataka or Job Oriented Diploma Course/Three years Diploma in Engineering of Government of Karnataka or any other examination considered as equivalent thereto shall be eligible for admission.
The IT industry is growing rapidly and with this, the demand for BCA graduates, too, is increasing every passing day. After obtaining a BCA degree, students can find lucrative job opportunities in leading IT companies such as Oracle, IBM, Infosys, Wipro, DELL EMC2,SAP Labs, Tech Mahindra, Mphasis, Delloitte, HP, SLK Software,etc.
BCA graduates are not only recruited by the private sector but also by public sector organisations. Government organisations like the Indian Air Force(IAF), Indian Army, and India Navy also hire a large bunch of computer professionals for their IT department.
Job profiles after completion of BCA
- Software Developer
- System Engineer
- Technical Analyst
- Software Tester
- Junior Programmer
- Web Developer
- System Administrator
- RPA Developer
- Computer Instructor in school, universities and colleges
Average starting salary: 2 Lakhs to 8 Lakhs
BCA (Bachelor of Computer Applications)
Program Outcomes (PO)
- To provide thorough understanding of nature, scope and application of computers and computer languages
- To develop interdisciplinary approach among the students
Program Specific Outcomes (PSO)
- After the completion of the course, a student is able
- To pursue further studies to gain specialization in Computer Science and Applications, and Business Administration
- To Work in IT sector as System Analyst, System Engineer, Software Tester, Junior Programmer, Web Developer, System Administrator, Software Developer etc.
- To work in public sector undertakings and Government organisations.
- To be a Computer Instructor in school, universities and colleges
Course Objectives and Outcomes (COO)
I Semester BCA
- CPG.T1-1: Problem Solving Techniques using COutcome: Ability to solve any given problem and arrive at computer solution using C Language.
- DEL.T1-1: Digital ElectronicsOutcome: Ability to represent data in various forms, test logic gates, design logic circuits which implement various computer operations and understand the computer organization.
- MFC-1: Mathematical Foundations for Computer ApplicationsOutcome: Ability to develop mathematical logic in computer applications.
II Semester BCA
- DST.T2-2: Data StructuresOutcome: Ability to identify and implement the suitable data structure for any given problem.
- DMS.T2-2: Data Base Management SystemsOutcome: Ability to understand how data and databases are used and maintained in real world applications.
- NSM-2: Numerical and Statistical MethodsOutcome: Ability to solve various numerical and statistical problems and apply in computer solutions
III Semester BCA
- JVA.T3-3: Object Oriented Programming Using JAVAOutcome:
- Ability to write programs in Java
- Use of interfaces, packages, multithreading
- Applet programming knowledge
- UNX.T3-3: UNIX Shell ProgrammingOutcome:
- Identify and use UNIX/Linux utilities to create and manage simple file processing operations
- Organize directory structures with appropriate security
- Develop shell scripts to perform more complex tasks
- Use of tools and utilities
- System performance and network activities monitoring
- Communication and system administration
- OPS-3: Operating SystemOutcome:
- ability to understand the process, memory, file and disk management functions of Operating system
- evaluate the performance of various scheduling algorithms
IV Semester BCA
- ALP.T4-4: Microprocessor and Assembly LaguageOutcome:
- to understand processor architecture and operations
- ability to perform memory and I/O interfacing
- learn assembly language instruction set
- write assembly programs
- WPG.T4-4: Web ProgrammingOutcome:
- Usage of Markup language for processing, identifying, and presenting of information in web pages
- Usage of scripting languages and web services to transfer data and add interactive components to web pages
- SOE-4: Software EngineeringOutcome: Ability to understand problems in systems, create SRS document and design, various types of testing, user interface design, software maintenance
V Semester BCA
- DCN-5: Data Communication and NetworksOutcome: Ability to plan suitable network model for the organization or home network
- CAR-5: Computer ArchitectureOutcome: Ability to
- Understand the operation of electronic logic elements
- Understand the organisation of a computer system in terms of its main components
- Understand different processor architectures
- Understand input/output mechanisms
- Understand the various parts of a system memory hierarchy
- PPG.T5-5: Python ProgrammingOutcome: Students will solve problems, explore real-world software development challenges, and create practical and contemporary applications.
- DWM.T5-5: Data Warehousing and Data MiningOutcome
- Apply preprocessing statistical methods for any given raw data
- Discover interesting patterns from large amounts of data to analyze and extract patterns to
- solve problems, make predictions of outcomes
- Select and apply proper data mining algorithms to build analytical applications.
- IOT-5: Internet of ThingsOutcome:
- Design IoT applications in different domains
- Deploy an IoT application and connect to the cloud
- Analyze applications of IoT in real time scenario
- MBC-5: Mobile ComputingOutcome: Gain knowledge about different mobile platforms and application development
VI Semester BCA
- SPG-6: System ProgrammingOutcome:
- Ability to understand working of Assembler, compilers, loaders, linkers, macro-processors
- DAA-6: Design and Analysis of AlgorithmsLearning Outcomes:
- Learn techniques for effective problem solving in computing
- prove the correctness and analyze the running time of the basic algorithms for those classic problems in various domains
- apply the algorithms and design techniques to solve problems;
- analyze the complexities of various problems in different domains
- DTA.T6-6: Data AnalyticsOutcome:
- Acquire in-depth knowledge in Data analytics techniques
- Access and process data on distributed file system
- Manage job execution in Hadoop environment
- CLC-6: Cloud ComputingOutcome: Ability to plan the integration of an organization with Cloud
- CNS-6: Cryptography and Network SecurityOutcome: Knowledge about network security threats, cryptography concepts, Encryption standards, Key management issues and solutions
- ARI-6: Artificial IntelligenceOutcome:
- Knowledge representation
- Cognitive thinking
- Implementation of AI concepts in real-life problems