Biotechnology is the use of living systems and organisms to develop or make products, or “any technological application that uses biological systems, living organisms or derivatives thereof, to make or modify products or processes for specific use”. In the late 20th and early 21st century, biotechnology has expanded to include new and diverse sciences such as genomics, recombinant gene techniques, applied immunology, and development of pharmaceutical therapies and diagnostic tests. Biotechnology has applications in major industrial areas, including health care (medical), crop production and agriculture, process engineering and environment protection.
mLAC is one among twelve colleges in Karnataka with ITBT, Govt. of Karnataka sponsored BT Finishing School, DST-FIST, and UGC sponsored B.Voc course in Medical Laboratory Technology. It has acquired the distinction of DBT-BIF, DBT star status. It has won the incentive award for DBT-BIF Facility, 4th best Bioinformatics centre (in colleges) for publications. Its other strengths include:
- Research work with societal relevance
- Self-funded in-house research projects for M.Sc. Biotechnology students.
- Majority of teaching faculty with doctorate degree, industry and research experience.
- Well-equipped labs with state-of-the-art facilities
- Collaboration with industry and MoU for internship and research
- Healthy student teacher ratio
- High publication output with high impact factors.
- To improve and sustain research activities through
- Academia-industry collaboration with biotech industry and R&D organizations.
- Scientific projects on contemporary issueslike waste management, fuel crisis, environmental pollution, biodiversity conservation.
- Interdisciplinary research of medical and societal relevance resulting in patents
- Conducting workshops and seminars on EDP, IPR, Ethical and legal issues related to biotechnology.
- Incubation centre to promote and support women entrepreneurship in biotechnology
- Adopting rural and government schools for introducing basic skills in life sciences
- Organizing camps and awareness programs for cancer and women related health issues.
- Offering consultancy services to industry and neighbouring colleges.
B.Sc. Chemistry, Botany, Biotechnology (CBBT)
B.Sc. Chemistry, Zoology, Biotechnology (CZBT)
Master of Science Biotechnology